PDP-11 Emulation, Migration, and Replacement
A PDP-11 can be virtualized (emulated) on a modern computer, which allows the existing operating system, its software, and all applications to be run without change. No
reprogramming is required. Most customers report that the emulated system is faster than the original. Original hardware can be supported via a modern PCI card.
CHARON-PDP for Windows
CHARON-PDP can emulate the following systems:
Supported peripheral devices include:
- Disk controllers: RQDX3 (MSCP), UDA50 (MSCP), RL11, RLV12
- Tape controllers: TQK50, TS11, TSV11, TSV05, TUK50
- Network adapters: DELQA, DESQA, DEQNA
- Video subsystem: VCB02
- Parallel port controller: LPV11
- Serial line controllers: DHV11, DL11, DLV-11, DRV1-WA, DZ11
Supported Operating Systems
These operating systems were sold by DEC for PDP-11:
Untested Operating Systems
Other operating systems were developed for PDP-11:
- Unix (developed by AT&T) in many flavors
- LSX, adapted from Unix V6 by Dr. Heinz Lycklama
- MERT: Multi-Environment Real-Time
There may have been others developed for special purposes, too. CHARON-PDP should be able to run all of them.
Host System Requirements
CHARON-PDP will run on a 32-bit or 64-bit x86 compatible CPU with a minimum of 2 cores and a clock speed of 2 GHz or faster. A minimum of 2 GB of host memory is required.
CHARON-PDP requires Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Enterprise (SP1) Editions 64-bit, Windows 7, 8. or 10.
See the CHARON-PDP Software Product Description for detailed information.
For more information, please email or call 1-888-VAX-VMS-8 (1-888-829-8678) toll-free in US and Canada.
For fastest service, please complete the PDP-11 Inventory checklist (Microsoft Excel document) before calling.